WISEST: Women in Scholarship, Engineering, Science & Technology is a unit of the University of Alberta that has dedicated over 30 years to empowering women in the fields of science, engineering and technology.
WISEST Notice Board
Registration for Choices is now OPEN
On February 16th and 17th, 2016, we will once again be hosting our annual Choices Conference for Grade 6 girls. Schools from eligible districts are invited to bring up to 4 students to this engaging, hands-on event that is designed to encourage more girls to pursue SET fields. Registration for this event is on a first-come-first-served basis with a registration fee of $40.00 per student. Registration fees include all supplies for two lab activities, a fun and challenging large-group activity, and an afternoon snack (students must bring their own lunches).
This is an extremely popular event that operates at full capacity (600 students!) every year so registering early is your school's best chance at reserving seats! Note: It is the school's responsibility to check our website for registration details, such as dates and deadlines. Please email us if you have any questions.
Registration is a two step process:
Step 1: Reserve your students' seats by completing our online 2016 Choices School Registration here. It is the registrant's responsibility to keep track of the date selected for the conference.
Step 2: Finalize your registration by downloading and printing the Student Group Information Package and return it to WISEST by mail no later than January 15th. These forms (must be originals), and your payment (we only accept cheques, which must made payable to the University of Alberta), are required to hold your reserved seats. If you need to make an alternative payment, then please email our office and we can email you the proper forms. Access Student Group Information Package, here: 2016 Choices Student Group Information Package-1.pdf
2016 Summer Research Program
Thank you for your interest in the WISEST Summer Research Program (July 5th to August 16th). Your application will consist of two parts (PLEASE READ before you begin):
1) Online Application - The Online Application is where you will begin your application process. This is where you give us your personal information, background, interests, and other details that are required. Please click, here, for the link to the online application.
2) Supporting Documents - We will require that you send in several supporting documents to finalize your application. These include two teacher references (click, here, for link to teacher reference document) in sealed envelopes, school transcripts to verify your grades, and a personal essay (500-700 words, type-written, double spaced). Details of what to include in your essay are also available on our website.
- Student Introduction and Checklist (available, here).
- Teacher Information Letter (available, here).
- Teacher Reference Form (available, here).
- WISEST Student Application & Checklist (available, here).
Both parts of your application must be complete and submitted to WISEST so that it is received no later than 4 pm on April 22nd, 2016. All Supporting Documents (references, transcripts and essay) must be originals and mailed to WISEST (no faxes or emails will be accepted). Please mail all Supporting Documents in ONE PACKAGE (no separate references, transcripts or essay):
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2G1
December 08 2015
December 08 2015
Consider This: Make This a Model Community of Respect for All. A call-to-action by Dr. Margaret-Ann Armour.
December 04 2015