Summer Research Program
2017 Summer Research Program Dates:
HYRS PROGRAM UPDATE: We are happy to announce that the 2017 Alberta Innovates Heritage Youth Researcher Summer (HYRS) Program is being administered by the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry here at the UofA! Visit The Division of Community Engagement webpage to see more details on how to apply and to download the application form. Application deadline for HYRS is May 1, 2017.
The WISEST Summer Research Program
provides an awesome opportunity for young women and young men who have completed Grade 11 to gain first hand information about the diverse fields in science, engineering and technology disciplines! Participants work as paid research assistants on a project in an area that is less-traditional for their gender for six weeks in July and August. The young women do research in the Faculties of Engineering and/or Science, and the young men are placed in the Faculty of Nursing and/or the Departments of Human Ecology and Nutrition.
Participation in this program helps students broaden their awareness of career opportunities and encourages them to explore a future in science, engineering and technology fields. To get an idea of the amazing experience past participants have enjoyed, please have a look at the latest WISEST Journal of Student Research.
The WISEST Summer Research Program relies upon the generous support of its donors. If you would like to contribute, please click here for more information.
Goals of the WISEST Summer Research Program
1. Provide learning opportunities about the techniques and types of research being conducted in different fields of study.
2. Provide first-hand experiences that contribute to trailblazing research in the lab or in the field.
3. Broaden awareness about less-traditional fields of study and diverse career options.
4. Provide an introduction to academic and university life at the University of Alberta.
5. Provide opportunities to meet and be inspired by successful women and men.
6. Provide opportunities to meet other young people with similar interests in less-traditional fields.
7. Assist in the development of key professional skills.
Information by Audience