Summer Research Program
If you can't view the video, please click here. (Length: 45 seconds)
The WISEST Summer Research Program provides an awesome opportunity for young women and young men who have completed Grade 11 to gain first hand information about the diverse fields in science, engineering and technology disciplines!
Participants work as paid research assistants on a project in an area that is less-traditional for their gender for six weeks in July and August. The young women do research in the Faculties of Engineering and/or Science, and the young men are placed in the Faculty of Nursing and/or the Departments of Human Ecology and Nutrition.
Participation in this program helps students broaden their awareness of career opportunities and encourages them to explore a future in science, engineering and technology fields. To get an idea of the amazing experience past participants have enjoyed, please have a look at WISEST Journal of Student Research.
The WISEST Summer Research Program relies upon the generous support of its donors. If you would like to contribute, please click here for more information.
Applications for the 2013 Summer Research Program are now closed. Thank you to all those who have applied.
Information by Audience
Goals of the WISEST Summer Research Program
1. Provide learning opportunities about the techniques and types of research being conducted in different fields of study.
2. Provide first-hand experiences that contribute to trailblazing research in the lab or in the field.
3. Broaden awareness about less-traditional fields of study and diverse career options.
4. Provide an introduction to academic and university life at the University of Alberta.
5. Provide opportunities to meet and be inspired by successful women and men.
6. Provide opportunities to meet other young people with similar interests in less-traditional fields.
7. Assist in the development of key professional skills.
WISEST Summer Research Program Alumni
2012 Student Researchers