Summer Research Program
Our 2016 Application Period is Now Open.
2016 Summer Research Program Information
Thank you for your interest in the WISEST Summer Research Program (July 5th to August 16th). Your application will consist of two parts (PLEASE READ before you begin):
1) Online Application - The Online Application is where you will begin your application process. This is where you give us your personal information, background, interests, and other details that are required. Please click, here, for the link to the online application.
2) Supporting Documents - We will require that you send in several supporting documents to finalize your application. These include two teacher references (click, here, for link to teacher reference document) in sealed envelopes, school transcripts to verify your grades, and a personal essay (500-700 words, type-written, double spaced). Details of what to include in your essay are also available on our website.
- Student Introduction and Checklist (available, here).
- Teacher Information Letter (available, here).
- Teacher Reference Form (available, here).
- WISEST Student Application & Checklist (available, here).
Both parts of your application must be complete and submitted to WISEST so that it is received no later than 4 pm on April 22nd, 2016. All Supporting Documents (references, transcripts and essay) must be originals and mailed to WISEST (no faxes or emails will be accepted). Please mail all Supporting Documents in ONE PACKAGE (no separate references, transcripts or essay):
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2G1
The WISEST Summer Research Program
provides an awesome opportunity for young women and young men who have completed Grade 11 to gain first hand information about the diverse fields in science, engineering and technology disciplines!
Participants work as paid research assistants on a project in an area that is less-traditional for their gender for six weeks in July and August. The young women do research in the Faculties of Engineering and/or Science, and the young men are placed in the Faculty of Nursing and/or the Departments of Human Ecology and Nutrition.
Participation in this program helps students broaden their awareness of career opportunities and encourages them to explore a future in science, engineering and technology fields. To get an idea of the amazing experience past participants have enjoyed, please have a look at WISEST Journal of Student Research.
The WISEST Summer Research Program relies upon the generous support of its donors. If you would like to contribute, please click here for more information.
It is through your generous support that we are able to provide 40 high school students with an amazing experience this summer. Click the link above to view our sponsors.
You can also view our 2014 Summer Research Program Students!
Thank you 2015 Sponsors
We couldn't do it without you. View
our 2015 Summer Research Program Sponsors and Contributors.
2015 Student Researchers
View our successful applicants Here
Goals of the WISEST Summer Research Program
1. Provide learning opportunities about the techniques and types of research being conducted in different fields of study.
2. Provide first-hand experiences that contribute to trailblazing research in the lab or in the field.
3. Broaden awareness about less-traditional fields of study and diverse career options.
4. Provide an introduction to academic and university life at the University of Alberta.
5. Provide opportunities to meet and be inspired by successful women and men.
6. Provide opportunities to meet other young people with similar interests in less-traditional fields.
7. Assist in the development of key professional skills.
Information by Audience