Interested in Applying to the WISEST Summer Research Program? Then Keep Reading!
How do we select Summer Research Program Students?
Each year WISEST receives nearly three times the number of applications than it can accommodate in the Summer Research Program. Applications are selected based on the following criteria:
- Available Seats -The number of successful applicants can vary each year depending on the number of seats that WISEST has available for the program. This depends largely on funding and the ability of researchers to take on students in their labs. Typically WISEST has been able to accommodate 40-60 students each summer.
- School Representation - WISEST strives to have students from as many different high schools as possible so that our program has a diversity of students. Thus, the number of students accepted from any one high school might be limited depending on how many schools have students that apply.
- Grade Requirements - Applicants must demonstrate an average of 85% or higher in their math and science courses. This is the minimum grade requirement to ensure that our students are successful in their lab placement. Grades are not considered beyond meeting this 85% average minimum. Please see the right-hand column for more details on what transcripts are required.
- Commitment - Applicants must be willing to fully commit to the entire 6 weeks of the program (no holidays or conflicting commitments).
- Personal Essay - Applicants are asked to submit a personal essay that clearly demonstrates their passion, open mind towards exploring science, engineering and technology fields in which their gender is typically underrepresented and how this experience would change or benefit them.
- Letters of Reference - Each student must submit two letters of reference from their science or math teachers. WISEST provides a template for teachers to fill out.
- Open Mind - This is an extremely important evaluation criteria for the selection committee. It is important that students remember that this program is designed to help students explore diverse careers in science, engineering and technology and to consider fields in which their gender is typically underrepresented. Students who have a love of science and a desire to learn about new possibilities and future career paths are the most successful in this program.
Who Can Apply
The Summer Research Program is for students who have completed Grade 11 and are heading into Grade 12 the next school year.
- We accept applicants from both young women interested in science, engineering and technology fields and from young men interested in nursing, human ecology and nutrition fields.
- Students from anywhere in Alberta can apply.
- Out of province students are welcome to inquire about applying to the program by contacting email@example.com.
Please see the right-hand column of this page for application links.
2018 Student Applications Open February 1 to April 6
Student Application Checklist
Online Application Form
Online Teacher Reference Form
1) You will be asked to provide us your personal information and asked some questions about why you want to be a WISEST Student Researcher.
2) You will also be required to submit 2 teacher references, a personal essay, and current transcripts.
3) *NEW THIS YEAR* Each application must be accompanied by a 1-time payment of $25. This payment can be made online using our OpenCart system (a link will be sent to you upon completing the online application form). For certain students, there is an option to have the fee waived at the end of the application process, based on financial circumstances.
Please provide us with both of the following to meet your transcript requirements:
A) A transcript which shows all of your high school grades. This could be:
- A detailed Academic Report from the Government of Alberta, or
- An official School Transcript showing all of you high school grades
B) Your current interim marks for the classes you are currently in. This can be printed off of your online school portal. Please note: if your current interim marks are listed as 'in progress', please talk to your teacher or school administrator prior to contacting the WISEST office.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 780-492-7774.